|shiftco.com / features / the rat / acquisition|
The Donor’s Engine
The donor came with an earlier 3-main bearing R-16 (R 27460).
The motor turns over easily by hand. “Ran when parked,” according to the seller.
Evidently that was in White Center 5 years previous to the 5 years the cars spent in InterBay. That would be 1993.
The engine is surprisingly unmolested and the block is still dark Nissan blue. Yellow paint pen “1600” on the valve cover suggests it came from a boneyard.
The head seems to match - early cast iron without holes for the pollution control air injection system of the later motors.